• Splintered - AG HowardSplintered
  •  graceling - kristin cashore
  •  someone to love - addison moore
  •  breaking beautiful - jennifer shaw wolf
  •  the perfect game - j sterling
  •  the edge of never - ja redmerski
  •  independence - shelly crane

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday #12




Waiting on Wednesday is hosted by Jill @ Breaking the Spine


This week I'm waiting for.....

Personal Effects
by E.M. Kokie


To Be Released on September 11, 2012


Summary:

After his older brother dies in Iraq, Matt makes a discovery that rocks his beliefs about strength, bravery, and honor in this page-turning debut.

Ever since his brother, T.J., was killed in Iraq, Matt feels like he’s been sleepwalking through life — failing classes, getting into fights, and avoiding his dad’s lectures about following in his brother’s footsteps. T.J.’s gone, but Matt can’t shake the feeling that if only he could get his hands on his brother’s stuff from Iraq, he’d be able to make sense of his death. But as Matt searches for answers about T.J.’s death, he faces a shocking revelation about T.J.’s life that suggests he may not have known T.J. as well as he thought. What he learns challenges him to stand up to his father, honor his brother’s memory, and take charge of his own life. With compassion, humor, and a compelling narrative voice, E. M. Kokie explores grief, social mores, and self-discovery in a provocative first novel.


Why I'm waiting:  
There are so many books coming out this year that have to do with soldiers off to war and the effects it has on their family and friend in their absence. Of those books, this is on the top of my to read list because I know what it's like to watch a loved one deploy, but I've never had to deal with one not coming home. My brother has been deployed three times, and thankfully, returned in one piece after each tour. I'm not sure what I would do if he didn't return.



What are you waiting for?



11 comments:

Annabelle Marie Veronica said...

I. Love. That. Cover! And overall, actually, it sounds amazing! Wonderful choice!
My WoW

Unknown said...

Sounds like a sad book! It would be awful to lose a brother. I can definitely understand him having problems. Then he learns some secrets about his brother it sounds like.
My WOW

Steph said...

That book sounds pretty intense. I don't normally like contemporary, but I might have to check this one out. Thanks for sharing!
My WoW

starryeyedjen said...

Lots of books pertaining to war lately. Not my usual read but that cover is pretty awesome. Thanks for sharing!

Here's my WoW post. Happy Wednesday! :D

Unknown said...

Nice pick! With two cousins that served in the Middle East, one of whom who died, this book feels so important. Can't wait to read it.
Thanks for sharing!

ellepaulette said...

This does sound like it will be a wonderful book to read.

Thanks for sharing,
Dani
My WoW: http://paulettespapers.com/?p=2024

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

i haven't seen this one yet. thanks for sharing.

C.J. said...

Wow, sounds like a powerful book. I get a little teary over stories like that so I don't know if it'd be first on my list, but I look forward to your review. Maybe if it's really brilliant I'll struggle through the sadness.

C.J.
cjlistro.blogspot.com

Montana @ The Book Belles said...

This looks so good! I already added to my TBR pile :)

Unknown said...

Fabulous pick - I can't wait for this one either! I have cover love for this one too, not sure why though :D

Claire Reads WoW

Maxine said...

Sounds lovely! I hope you enjoy it when it comes out :)

Here is my WoW post. Check it out? ;)

-Maxine @ Teenage Fiction

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...