• Splintered - AG HowardSplintered
  •  graceling - kristin cashore
  •  someone to love - addison moore
  •  breaking beautiful - jennifer shaw wolf
  •  the perfect game - j sterling
  •  the edge of never - ja redmerski
  •  independence - shelly crane

Thursday, May 31, 2012

{Review} Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood




Born Wicked
by Jessica Spotswood
Publisher:  Putnam Juvenile
Series:  The Cahill Witch Chronicles (#1)
Pages:  330
Source:  Won
Available as of February 7, 2012
Amazon | Barnes & Noble
The Book Depository | Books-A-Million



Everybody knows Cate Cahill and her sisters are eccentric. Too pretty, too reclusive, and far too educated for their own good. But the truth is even worse: they’re witches. And if their secret is discovered by the priests of the Brotherhood, it would mean an asylum, a prison ship—or an early grave.

Before her mother died, Cate promised to protect her sisters. But with only six months left to choose between marriage and the Sisterhood, she might not be able to keep her word... especially after she finds her mother’s diary, uncovering a secret that could spell her family’s destruction. Desperate to find alternatives to their fate, Cate starts scouring banned books and questioning rebellious new friends, all while juggling tea parties, shocking marriage proposals, and a forbidden romance with the completely unsuitable Finn Belastra.

If what her mother wrote is true, the Cahill girls aren’t safe. Not from the Brotherhood, the Sisterhood—not even from each other.



Rating:



My Review:
I've had Born Wicked sitting on my shelf for a month or so now and have been dying to read it. I'm glad I found the time because it was amazing! Jessica Spotswood created a society that is reminiscent of the Salem Witch Trials, but has its own unique twist.

Cate Cahill and her two sisters have been hiding their magic from their father and the community. After their mother's death, Cate has only ventured outside her home when need be. Confining her and her sisters to their home and garden, she needs to find a boy who will ask for her hand in marriage or be forced to join the sisterhood. With only a few months to go, Cate has to become a lady and keep her sister's antics in check without drawing too much attention.

I adore Cate. Her mother asked her to keep her sisters safe, and she hasn't let her down yet. Cate is protective of her sisters and would do anything to ensure that they come to no harm, even give up her own happiness. Her younger sisters, Maura and Tess, don't control their magic well and flaunt it around their home, putting them all in danger if anyone were to stop by. Cate is put in the position of scolding them, becoming a hypocrite when it happens to her.

There were a few things I liked and one thing I am not too happy about. I loved that Cate wasn't stupid. She knows what's at stake and does everything she can to keep those around her from finding out the truth. Unlike Maura, she isn't naive. She can tell when she is being lied to. I also liked that the sisters acted like true sisters. They got in fights and kept secrets. The only thing I didn't like was the ending. I was extremely disappointed and I'm not sure if I would have chosen the same thing Cate did. 

Overall, I loved Born Wicked. The ending devastated me and I can't wait to read book two, Star Cursed. I would highly recommend this book if you are interest in the Salem Witch Trials or witches in general!!



3 comments:

Michelle Chew said...

This book looks good (despite the ending I've read from your review). I'm definitely reading this book! Soon! The cover is really pretty! <3

T said...

I've heard so many good things about this book - I think might have to give it a go, even if witches aren't really my thing!

Unknown said...

I've had BW on my bookshelf since it released. I'm glad you liked the characters and enjoyed the story.
Nice review!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...