• Splintered - AG HowardSplintered
  •  graceling - kristin cashore
  •  someone to love - addison moore
  •  breaking beautiful - jennifer shaw wolf
  •  the perfect game - j sterling
  •  the edge of never - ja redmerski
  •  independence - shelly crane

Saturday, September 22, 2012

{Review} 52 Reasons to Hate My Father by Jessica Brody




52 Reasons to Hate My Father 
by Jessica Brody
Publisher:  Farrar, Straus & Giroux
Pages:  322
Source:  Won
Available as of July 3, 2012
Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Fishpond
The Book Depository | Books-A-Million



Being America’s favorite heiress is a dirty job, but someone’s gotta do it.

Lexington Larrabee has never to work a day in her life. After all, she’s the heiress to the multi-billion-dollar Larrabee Media empire. And heiresses are not supposed to work. But then again, they’re not supposed to crash brand new Mercedes convertibles into convenience stores on Sunset Blvd either.

Which is why, on Lexi’s eighteen birthday, her ever-absent, tycoon father decides to take a more proactive approach to her wayward life. Every week for the next year, she will have to take on a different low-wage job if she ever wants to receive her beloved trust fund. But if there’s anything worse than working as a maid, a dishwasher, and a fast-food restaurant employee, it’s dealing with Luke, the arrogant, albeit moderately attractive, college intern her father has assigned to keep tabs on her.

In a hilarious “comedy of heiress” about family, forgiveness, good intentions, and best of all, second chances, Lexi learns that love can be unconditional, money can be immaterial, and, regardless of age, everyone needs a little saving. And although she might have 52 reasons to hate her father, she only needs one reason to love him.



Rating:


My Review:
It took a while to get into, but 52 Reasons to Hate My Father turned out to be an amazing read. Jessica Brody knows how to end a book with a bang.

Lexington Larrabee is a spoiled, selfish, heiress who wouldn't know work if it hit her over the head. She knows how to drink, drive, and have a good time, but earning the money she spends is foreign to her.

Starting 52 Reasons to Hate My Father took some time. I wasn't a fan of Lexi's and her personality was off-putting, but expected of an eighteen year old who has never earned one thing she owns. I pushed through my negative feeling toward her and found a heartwarming surprise half-way through. Lexi's journey pulls her from her self-absorbed world into a world where she learns how those less fortunate live. That everything isn't just handed to everyone. She sees their hardships and begins to become the person her father would be proud of. 

I loved reading 52 Reasons to Hate My Father because you get to see such an extreme change in attitude. The people Lexi meets leave an impression and she becomes more worldly and less selfish. I loved seeing her evolve. 

52 Reasons to Hate My Father was an exceptionally well written novel that shows how much a person can change in such a short period of time. I highly recommend it if you're looking for a coming of age novel that leaves you happily surprised in the end.  




7 comments:

JennRenee said...

I love books where there is great growth in the main character. I have only read one book by Jessica Brody, The Karma Club,and it was an awesome book! I need to pick this one up! Great review.

Addie R. said...

Lexi doesn't seem like the type of character I would like at first either, but I'm glad she grows. :)
Great review!

M.A.D. said...

Sometimes these spoiled girls are fun to read about, but it's rewarding to see them actually grow throughout the novel! I've been meaning to get 52 Reasons, and - even if it was slow going at first - I'm really glad you ended up liking it!
Mary DeBorde M.A.D.

Jaime Lester said...

It did take me a couple of chapters to get into this one, and then I realized that I was laughing and having a good time. I really ended up loving this book. I can't wait to read what Jessica Brody comes out with next. No doubt, it will be wonderful!

Lili said...

I loved this book as well and even gave it the exact same rating. I found it to be very funny, though it was hard to get into at first because the MC was so stuck up in the beginning.

Great review!
- Lili

Unknown said...

I'm glad you liked it! I've been planning on reading it, but was unsure whether or not her personality would grate at me too much... Thanks for the review!

Marilyn B said...

Sounds like a great book!Thank you for the review, I think I will add it to my must read list.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...