• Splintered - AG HowardSplintered
  •  graceling - kristin cashore
  •  someone to love - addison moore
  •  breaking beautiful - jennifer shaw wolf
  •  the perfect game - j sterling
  •  the edge of never - ja redmerski
  •  independence - shelly crane

Thursday, April 5, 2012

{Review} The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith






The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight
by Jennifer E. Smith
Publisher:  Poppy/Little Brown
Pages:  256
Source:  Self Purchased
Available as of January 2, 2012
B&N |  The Book Depository
AmazonBooks-A-Million




Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?

Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. She's stuck at JFK, late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon to be step-mother that Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's in seat 18C. Hadley's in 18A.

Twists of fate and quirks of timing play out in this thoughtful novel about family connections, second chances and first loves. Set over a 24-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it.



Rating:


My Review:
The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight is a book I always told myself I would never read, but then I read a ton of great reviews and in a spur of the moment I ordered it.  I'm glad I did.  Had I never just went for it I wouldn't be sitting here speechless with so many things I want to say, but not finding the words to put my thoughts on paper.  Not only was this story witty and romantic, but it was real and could quite possibly happen in real life.

The day has come when Hadley must get on a plane and fly to London to watch her father marry a woman she has never met before.  She is antsy, cranky, and in a frenzy to get to her flight on time.  Secretly she wonders what would happen if she missed it, and then she does.  Four minutes late to the gate and she is stuck in a crowded airport waiting for the next flight.  Oliver comes to her rescue and keeps her company only to find out they are sitting in the same row on the plane.

Hadley is like a lot of girls who have watched her parents get divorced.  She is happy that her mom has moved on, but is furious at her dad for finding someone else because it's his fault.  It's always his fault.  She doesn't want to be part of the wedding, but what she finds along the way is a boy who makes her see things differently.  Oliver is that boy.  He is funny and charming, the kind of guy I would love to randomly meet.  It only takes a seven hour plane ride for Hadley to miss him when he's gone.

I loved that this book was so easy to relate to.  I've been in Hadley's shoes. Granted when my parents got divorced it was my mom who asked for it and my dad never said two words to me about getting married.  I visited for Christmas and saw the ring on her finger.  But, I understood why she felt so much resentment towards him.  I also liked that this wasn't a heavy read.  The tense scenes were followed quickly by some witty comment, just something to lighten the mood.  The ratio of sappy to funny was perfect for this book.  However, the best aspect of this book is the believable relationships.  Hadley and Oliver aren't all over each other after just meeting.  Major points for this!!

Overall, this was a great read that any lover of contemporary fiction would enjoy reading.  Like I said before, this is a book I always said I would never pick up, but my curiosity kept eating at me and I'm so glad I went for it!  


This book satisfies one of my books for the 2012 Completely Contemp Challenge and one of my YA Contemporary Challenge books.

1 comment:

Elodie said...

Fabulous review Emily :) !! I really liked this one too. Oliver was an amazing character and I thought Hadley was pretty easy to relate to too :) !!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...