• Splintered - AG HowardSplintered
  •  graceling - kristin cashore
  •  someone to love - addison moore
  •  breaking beautiful - jennifer shaw wolf
  •  the perfect game - j sterling
  •  the edge of never - ja redmerski
  •  independence - shelly crane

Monday, February 13, 2012

{Review} Geek Girl by Cindy C. Bennett


by Cindy C. Bennett
Publisher:  Self Published
Pages: 318 (nookbook)
Source:  Self Purchased
Available as of July 29, 2010

Republished by Cedar Fort and available as of December 8, 2011



"Think I can turn that boy bad?" 17-year-old Jen turns her life upside down when, out of boredom, she makes a bet that she can turn school geek Trevor into someone like her. Instead, the goth girl finds herself sucked into his world of sci-fi movies, charity work, and even-ugh!-bowling. To truly belong with him-and with her new foster family-she must first come to terms with her violent past.

Rating:


Review:
This is the second time I have read this book and it was just as enjoyable as the first. Cindy C. Bennett makes you question the main character, Jen, and her choice in friends constantly.  

Let me introduce you to Jen. She has been a foster kid since she was twelve, dresses in black, wears chains, and is one of the most insecure girls you will ever encounter. Her two best friends, Beth and Ella, are the only girls she has ever really gotten to know at her school. Upon Jen's decision to "flip" a boy, her friends tell her they will pay for her to get her lip repierced if she succeeds in pulling him to the dark side. But what Jen doesn't know is the effect the boy, Trevor, will have on her.

Throughout the book we are in Jen's head while she constantly tries to remind herself that she can't like him or really be with him. We don't really know Jen's story in the beginning, but as the book progresses and new, unbelievable options are thrust upon her do we really get to know her.

I was taken by the plot both times I read this book. At first I thought, "I wonder if she can really change him? Yes, cruel but can she do it?" Then I thought, "What if this backfires? Then what will she do?" I found myself laughing and crying throughout the book while I kept thinking, "OMG Jen, you are such a moron!"

Overall, this is a wonderful read for people of all ages. It is a great coming of age novel that will keep the reader guessing the whole way through. I highly recommend this book!




This book satisfies one of my twenty books for the 2012 Completely Contemp Challenge.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...