• Splintered - AG HowardSplintered
  •  graceling - kristin cashore
  •  someone to love - addison moore
  •  breaking beautiful - jennifer shaw wolf
  •  the perfect game - j sterling
  •  the edge of never - ja redmerski
  •  independence - shelly crane

Friday, January 4, 2013

{Review} Graceling by Kristin Cashore




Graceling
by Kristin Cashore
Series: Graceling Realm (#1)
Publisher: Gollancz (UK edition) 
Pages: 370
Source: Purchased
Available as of January 22, 2009
Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Books-A-Million
Fishpond | The Book Depository

In a world where people born with an exceptional skill, known as a Grace, are both feared and exploited, Katsa carries the burden of a skill even she despises: the Grace of killing.

Feared by the court and shunned by those her own age, the darkness of her Grace casts a heavy shadow over Katsa’s life. Yet she remains defiant: when the King of Lienid’s father is kidnapped she investigates, and stumbles across a mystery. Who would want to kidnap the old man, and why? And who was the extraordinary Graced man whose fighting abilities rivalled her own?

The only thing Katsa is sure of is that she no longer wants to kill. The intrigue around this kidnapping offers her a way out – but little does she realise, when she takes it, that something insidious and dark lurks behind the mystery. Something spreading from the shadowy figure of a one-eyed king...





For so long I wanted to read Graceling, but I worried about whether I'd enjoy it as much as I'd hoped. After reading a ton of reviews, some positive, some negative, my curiosity won out. Kristin Cashore had me on the edge of my seat for all 370 pages.

Born with the Grace of death, Katsa is feared by many, shunned by her peers, and used by one, her uncle, the king. After rescuing the father of the king of Lienid, she comes to realize that she doesn't want to do her uncles bidding, to cause pain to those who don't deserve it. What will it take to free herself of him and where will her actions leave her?

Wow times ten! I was skeptical upon ordering Graceling, but it was an adventure that was riveting  fast paced, and something to lose yourself in. Katsa was an unexpected heroine. She never wanted to marry or have kinds, she wasn't boy crazy and most of all, she was strong, courageous and determined. She did the unexpected or the unthinkable and she found her true self along the way. I frequently found myself surprised by twists in the plot. This had a big impact on my inability to put it down when I was tired or needed to do homework. It was captivating.

Overall, Graceling is one of the best fantasy stories I've read and I will be ordering Fire soon. I highly recommend giving Graceling a shot if you haven't already.




Do you have a question you would like me to answer about myself, books, blogging or anything else bookish? Send me your questions by filling out this form and I'll fill you guys in every Monday!



10 comments:

juliababyjen said...

I loved this book, and loved Fire even more! Glad you enjoyed!

Unknown said...

I love this book and this series so much!And I;m glad that you loved this book also. The second book is evern better, in my mind.

Elisabeth said...

I think this is one of those books you either love to bits or hate into oblivion. I must confess that I didn't particularly like it, but I'm so glad you did! =)

Leanne Yang said...

I'm glad you liked this one as well! I read this a few years ago and I loved it. Thanks for the review :)

Leanne Yang
Escaping With Books

book queen said...

I really enjoyed this book, it was one of the first books that I read when I started reading in English. The story is interesting and I liked how strong a character Katsa was.

ArtemisG said...

I am not a big fan of fantasy books but this sound really good.
Artemis

Christine said...

So glad you read this! Graceling is one of my favorites (Fire and Bitterblue are also amazing). Kristin Cashore seriously has amazing talent when it comes to fantasy :)

Unknown said...

I've had this sitting in my TBR pile forever. I'll have move it to the top! Great review! :D

Wolfswan1 said...

I wanted to read graceling when it was published way back but I totally forgot about it. I will have to add it to my goodreads profile. Your review has gotten me very exited to read this book all over again. I am a huge fan of fantasy novels :)

Unknown said...

I loved this book and the other two in the trilog as well they were sooo amazing and perfect <3 love you blog!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...