• Splintered - AG HowardSplintered
  •  graceling - kristin cashore
  •  someone to love - addison moore
  •  breaking beautiful - jennifer shaw wolf
  •  the perfect game - j sterling
  •  the edge of never - ja redmerski
  •  independence - shelly crane

Thursday, January 10, 2013

{Review & Character Bio} Inescapable by Amy A. Bartol





Inescapable
by Amy A Bartol
Series: The Premonition (#1)
Pages: 392
Source: e-book provided by author for review
Available as of January 22, 2009
Amazon | Barnes & Noble 

My name is Evie Claremont and this was to be the making of me--my freshman year of college. I had been hoping that once I had arrived on Crestwood's campus, the nightmare that I've been having would go away. It hasn't.

I may be an inexperienced seventeen-year-old, but I'm grounded...sane. Since meeting sophomore Reed Wellington, however, nothing makes any sense. Whenever he is near, I feel an attraction to him--a magnetic kind of force pulling me towards him. I know what you're thinking...that sounds fairly awesome. Yeah, it would--if he liked me, but Reed acts as if I'm the worst thing that's ever happened to Crestwood...or him. But, get this, for some reason every time I turn around he's there, barging into my life.

What is the secret he is keeping from me? I'm hoping that it is anything but what I expect: that he is not exactly normal...and neither am I. So maybe Crestwood won't be the making of me, but it could be the breaking of me. I have been left to wonder if the dark future my dream is foretelling is...inescapable.





Inescapable was an exciting read that made my jaw drop on more than one occasion. Amy A. Bartol did such an exquisite job setting the scene that I felt like I was watching a movie play out in front of me while reading.

Evie Claremont is leaving the only person that has always been there for her and going to college. While it may be difficult leaving her Uncle Jim, Evie has bigger obstacles to get around. Reed Wellington isn't making her transition to Crestwood easy. He wants her to leave, to go home and stay away from him, but Evie can't do that. She is there on a full ride academic scholarship that she has no intentions of walking away from. What will it take for Reed to drop his Evie-bashing and just deal with her presence?

I absolutely adored Evie. She was one of the sweetest characters I've ever read because she always put others needs before her own. While she was a little naive, she also fit the part well considering her background. Reed was a completely different story. I wasn't a big fan of him in the beginning because he was one of the rudest characters ever, but as the story progressed, and we learn more about him, his reasons and actions make complete sense. Needless to say, he won me over.

I loved just about everything about this book. The story progressed slowly at times, but picked up as the climax was nearing. I didn't expect half of the twists and turns that occurred, nor did I expect Reed to be what he was. I felt like Evie was the perfect heroine for this story because she was so sweet, innocent, and naive. The supporting characters were all well thought out and I felt like I got to know each of them. While I do have some questions after finishing this book, I'm sure they will be answered throughout the rest of the series.

Overall, Inescapable was a great read that had me dumbfounded on occasion. If you are looking for a gripping paranormal story that will have you on the edge of your seat, look no further!



GENEVIEVE “EVIE” CLAREMONT is half angel and half human, the only angel known to exist with a soul. Raised by her Uncle Jim and believing she’s a typical 17-year-old, Evie cannot reconcile the harrowing nightmares that haunt her every time she closes her eyes or the extreme physical changes her body is undergoing. With each passing day, it becomes harder to ignore the facts...that she’s not normal, and neither is Reed.

Evie’s connection to Reed: Evie is physically drawn to Reed by an odd, fluttering magnetism that they call “butterflies.” The longer they’re near each other, the more the raw desire builds within them for one another. Evie’s angel side loves only Reed.

Evie’s connection with Russell: Russell is Evie’s human soul mate. They have shared thousands of lifetimes together on Earth as humans prior to this lifetime in which Evie is now half angel and no longer a mortal being. Evie’s human side or soul loves only Russell.

Physical Attributes: 17 until her 18th birthday on October 30th, 5’ 9”, auburn hair, grayish-blue eyes, extremely lithe and sexy with an athletic propensity, and when she evolves retractable wings, they’re petite, crimson in color, and resemble an avian.

Evie’s Class of Angel: Seraphim angel – first tier of angels, they’re the highest order of angel and the closest to God. They’re known as God’s guardians and are distinguishable by their wing color, which is red or crimson and resemble an avian. They’re equal in physical strength to a Power angel when fully evolved. Their symbol is the shield.

Evie’s Supernatural Abilities:
     • Heal from serious wounds – ability to heal quickly and regenerate tissue, sinew and bone rapidly. This is a standard
        angelic trait.
     • Acute hearing - ability to hear conversations in another room or mice in the basement. This is a standard angelic trait.
     • Higher visual acuity – Can see vast distances and has night vision. Able to detect several colors not in the human
        spectrum of vision, and allows the angel to see lingering “souls” who have not ascended (they can see ghosts). This is
        a standard angelic trait.
     • Run extremely fast - she can move so fast she is just a blur to the human eye. This is a standard angelic trait.
     • Power to heal others - ability to take the wound from another being by absorbing the wound and manifesting it within
        her body. This ability is a trait unique to Evie in Inescapable.
     • Immortality – Evie’s angelic body is eternal, unless she is destroyed by another being, but it would be difficult to kill
        her and she would suffer immensely to accomplish it. She is unable to survive without her human soul, so if it is taken
        (reaped) she’ll die.




Do you have a question you would like me to answer about myself, books, blogging or anything else bookish? Send me your questions by filling out this form and I'll fill you guys in every Monday!


FTC Disclosure:  I received a copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review. I was not monetarily compensated for my opinion.  

5 comments:

Michelle Chew said...

I didn't know this is an angel book till I read your post! Can't wait to grab the book. :)

Unknown said...

I stared reading this and was just so fascinated! But unfortunately it felt sort of stretched out by the end so I couldn't enjoy it as much as I expected :(

Amy said...

I am so not an angel book person so this doesn't really appeal to me, but it sounds like you enjoyed it. I like the character bios.

book queen said...

I`d love to read this book because it sounds interesting, but I`ve never liked love triangles and this book seems to have it. I guess I might read it sometime in the future, but noe I`m not so sure about it.

Jaime Lester said...

Sounds like my kind of story, and the cover immediately caught my eye. I love it, simple but beautiful! Evie sounds like a great character. I like genuinely sweet and kind and honest MC's. I love the mystery that the synopsis presents, and also the romance that it suggests may take place. I think I would like this story. Thank you for the review!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...