• Splintered - AG HowardSplintered
  •  graceling - kristin cashore
  •  someone to love - addison moore
  •  breaking beautiful - jennifer shaw wolf
  •  the perfect game - j sterling
  •  the edge of never - ja redmerski
  •  independence - shelly crane

Monday, December 31, 2012

{Review} Breaking Beautiful by Jennifer Shaw Wolf






Breaking Beautiful
by Jennifer Shaw Wolf
Pages:  354
Source:  Purchased
Available as of April 24, 2012
Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Books-A-Million
Fishpond | The Book Depository

Allie lost everything the night her boyfriend, Trip, died in a horrible car accident—including her memory of the event. As their small town mourns his death, Allie is afraid to remember because doing so means delving into what she’s kept hidden for so long: the horrible reality of their abusive relationship.

When the police reopen the investigation, it casts suspicion on Allie and her best friend, Blake, especially as their budding romance raises eyebrows around town. Allie knows she must tell the truth. Can she reach deep enough to remember that night so she can finally break free? Debut writer Jennifer Shaw Wolf takes readers on an emotional ride through the murky waters of love, shame, and, ultimately, forgiveness.





I cannot begin to express how much I had been wanting to read Breaking Beautiful. After so much anticipation, it left me breathless and in tears. Jennifer Shaw Wolf wrote a stunning novel about love, loss, grief, shame, and abuse.

Allie has lived an Army life. Her father was a sergeant major and frequently moved the family around. The only home she ever really knew was Pacific Cliffs, her grandma's home, her mom's home town, the place where her only friend lives. Upon her fathers retirement they moved back and Allie find herself in a relationship that ends with her broken and bruised, thinking little of herself. Now she must put together the pieces of the night he died, the night he went off the cliff.

I loved this story. Allie grew from a girl who thought she was the cause of all problems to a girl who was slowly coming to realize that she never did anything wrong. She was broken and needed to trust again. Trip made her who she was. Blake reminded her of who she used to be. She was in control of who she would become.

What first drew me to Breaking Beautiful was the kind of relationship Allie and Trip had and how she couldn't remember the night he died. Going in I knew this book would be an emotional roller coaster, but it wasn't as bad as I had thought it would be. I found myself happy, sad, giddy, and crying the entire way though. Allie was like most people who have been abused. She was ashamed, felt guilty and thought little of herself. The plot was slow in the beginning, but quickly built to the mystery surrounding what really happened. As Allie slowly regained her memory, I became more entranced in the story line. In the end, I didn't know who would ultimately be responsible until it was finally revealed. Best of all, two unexpected twists!

Overall, Breaking Beautiful was a wonderful read that kept me on the edge of my seat, dying to know how it would all end. I highly recommend this book!



3 comments:

Michelle Chew said...

I have this book on my shelf! And I'm going to read it soon (I hope). I'm also intrigued by why Allie couldn't remember the night Trip died. Looking forward to finding out the answers. Great review again, Em!

Amy said...

I really liked this book too. I found myself very drawn into the story. I love mysteries, they just don't tend to keep me guessing, but I really enjoyed this one. I don't remember now if I had it figured out early on or not since I read it a while ago. Great review!!

Montana @ The Book Belles said...

This sounds amazing! I love when the characters end up growing over the course of the story, I'm definitely looking forward to reading this :) Thanks for the amazing review!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...