• Splintered - AG HowardSplintered
  •  graceling - kristin cashore
  •  someone to love - addison moore
  •  breaking beautiful - jennifer shaw wolf
  •  the perfect game - j sterling
  •  the edge of never - ja redmerski
  •  independence - shelly crane

Thursday, June 7, 2012

{Review} In Honor by Jessi Kirby



In Honor
by Jessi Kirby
Publisher:  Simon & Schuster
Pages:  240
Source:  Purchased
Available as of May 8, 2012
Amazon | Barnes & Noble
Books-A-Million | The Book Depository




Hours after her brother’s military funeral, Honor opens the last letter Finn ever sent. In her grief, she interprets his note as a final request and spontaneously decides to go to California to fulfill it.

Honor gets as far as the driveway before running into Rusty, Finn’s best friend since third grade and his polar opposite. She hasn’t seen Rusty in ages, but it’s obvious he is as arrogant and stubborn as ever—not to mention drop-dead gorgeous. Despite Honor’s better judgment, the two set off together on a voyage from Texas to California. Along the way, they find small and sometimes surprising ways to ease their shared loss and honor Finn’s memory—but when shocking truths are revealed at the end of the road, will either of them be able to cope with the consequences?



Rating:
    


My Review:
There isn't enough time or enough words for me to tell you how much I loved this book or how much I laughed and cried so I'm going to give you a condensed version of everything I want to say. Jessi Kirby wrote a magnificent story that was both heartbreaking and heartwarming. 

It's the day of Finn's military funeral and the guns are sounding off. She's been strong all day, but it's the flag Honor is handed that breaks her strength. For the past week or so she has ignored the letter that's sitting on the counter. The one from Finn. The one that's a "real letter." When she finally finds the courage to open it, she finds two concert tickets and his final request. She knows it's stupid to just hop in her brother's car and leave, but it is his final request and she's set on seeing it through.

Honor has looked up to her brother since they were little. He was her rock, her confidant, her life. Upon receiving the new's of his death, her world shattered. She became a shell. Any mention of Finn or the word "brother" would bring her near tears. She wasn't handling his death well and she had to get away. The tickets he bought her provide her an excuse, so she left. But it was a journey that she needed. She needed to get away to think, to grow up, and to learn to live again.

Reading In Honor was difficult for me. I was in tears for the first two chapters then on and off throughout the rest of the novel, but I loved everything about this book. Yes, I cried a lot, but there were so many scenes when I would die laughing. Between all the sad moments, there was seriousness and happiness that Honor got to experience. I'm so happy this wasn't all focused on Finn's death, but more of Honor's struggle to find understanding in why he joined the Marines.   

Overall, this was an amazing read and because of all the stories that are told, I feel like I know Finn. That is exactly what I wanted to get out of this book. I wanted to know the boy who died while serving his country. I highly, highly recommend this book. You will cry, but it is sooo worth it.


8 comments:

Michelle Chew said...

That looks good! I'll probably need tissues for this. I think I'll enjoy reading this. Thanks for sharing. :)

Emily Blake said...

Oooh I want to read this one soooooooo bad! It looks amazing and I love the cover. I'm so glad you liked it!! :)

~Emily@Emily's Crammed Bookshelf

Alyssa said...

This book looks really good! I am putting this one on my to-read! Thanks for sharing! :)

Jen said...

Wasn't this book great? I loved Monnglass too..

Special Needs Mom said...

I liked the book. I wish there was more of a romance between Honor and Rusty.

My blog - http://bookbloggermom.blogspot.com

Doodle said...

Agreed! <3 Them!!

Doodle said...

It really was!!

I read Moonglass a month or so ago and couldn't figure out how to review it. Need to reread it soon and get my thoughts together! :)

Jaime Lester said...

I don't read a ton of contemporary, but I really like them and I think that I would love this one! It sounds so good. I love the mix of laughter and tears!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...