• Splintered - AG HowardSplintered
  •  graceling - kristin cashore
  •  someone to love - addison moore
  •  breaking beautiful - jennifer shaw wolf
  •  the perfect game - j sterling
  •  the edge of never - ja redmerski
  •  independence - shelly crane

Friday, January 3, 2014

{Review} Hopeless by Colleen Hoover



Hopeless
by Colleen Hoover
Publisher: Atria Books
Source: Purchased
Available as of May 7, 2013 (first published Dec. 17, 2012)
Amazon | Barnes & Noble
Sometimes discovering the truth can leave you more hopeless than believing the lies…

That’s what seventeen-year-old Sky realizes after she meets Dean Holder. A guy with a reputation that rivals her own and an uncanny ability to invoke feelings in her she’s never had before. He terrifies her and captivates her all in the span of just one encounter, and something about the way he makes her feel sparks buried memories from a past that she wishes could just stay buried.

Sky struggles to keep him at a distance knowing he’s nothing but trouble, but Holder insists on learning everything about her. After finally caving to his unwavering pursuit, Sky soon finds that Holder isn’t at all who he’s been claiming to be. When the secrets he’s been keeping are finally revealed, every single facet of Sky’s life will change forever.

Overall Rating
 photo 5star_zps19236871.png

Review
Colleen Hoover is an amazing writer and I find it sad that this is the first book of hers I've read considering I've had Slammed and Point of Retreat on my shelves for a while now, but have yet to pick them up. I even have a signed, first edition of Hopeless from when Colleen first published this book herself on my shelf and it took me getting a kindle copy to read it. *Head falls in shame*

I love it when books suck you in from page one and keep you enticed and excited the entire time you're reading. I love it when books make you cry (endlessly) because you feel so close to a character, almost as if you are the character, and their pain is your pain. I love it when books rip your heart out only to slowly mend it back together. I love it when I fall in love with a fictional character. Hopeless is all of these.

If I wrote down all my thoughts about this book I would give away the whole story and I don't want to do that. So I'll go with the short and sweet version of what I want to tell you... I immediately fell in love with Sky. She was homeschooled all her life, but entering high school for her senior year without her best friend, the one person who pushed for her to make the leap. Because of her best friend, she already had a reputation and she handled her first few days with grace. She embraced it in a way and I envied her ability to let things roll of her back. It showed how strong she was when she didn't really believe she was all that strong. Getting into the heart of the story and the gorgeous boy with dimples... Sky was cautious because he was so different from all the others and I loved that she didn't give in and fall at his feet immediately. I loved that Holder made mistakes and wasn't made to be this god-like character that could do no wrong. The characters Colleen Hoover gave us weren't cookie cutter, run of the mill, YA/NA characters who fawned over the love interests and explained away their faults. Hopeless is one of the more real books I've read and I loved that nothing was perfect for any of the characters, that there were stories within stories, and everything was tied up and explained by the last page.

Overall, this book was heartwrenchingly beautiful and it made me love and hate reading all at the same time. So much heartache was thrown into this book, but I'm so happy I read it. If you haven't read a book by Colleen Hoover I can't really say much or look down my nose at you because this one was my first, but I can tell you to go pick up this book. So much love for Dean Holder.


PostSIG

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...