• Splintered - AG HowardSplintered
  •  graceling - kristin cashore
  •  someone to love - addison moore
  •  breaking beautiful - jennifer shaw wolf
  •  the perfect game - j sterling
  •  the edge of never - ja redmerski
  •  independence - shelly crane

Friday, January 27, 2012

Friday Five Day: Books I Always Recommend




This weeks topic of Friday Five Day is books I always recommend to friends.  All the books I am listing today are recommend because they have had an impact on me in some way, be it mentally, emotionally or socially. 








Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
Jay Asher couldn't have set this novel up any better.  He chose a tricky topic and wrote it from the viewpoint of two characters who couldn't find each other when they needed to the most.  He was too late and she broke his heart.  She was beyond repair and he wanted to save her.  He blames himself and she blames other people.  I cried my heart out for both of them and was left with a sense of relief and closure for Clay.  He did what he could but in the end Hannah was determined to follow through with her plan.



Sometimes It Happens by Lauren Barnholdt
At first, I didn't think I would like this book based on its concept: boy cheats on girlfriend with her best friend.  I am not a fan of cheating, you might as well just break up with the person if you are going to go that far.  However, sometimes it happens.  Before this book, I never would have thought about how horrible the best friend might feel or how hard she fought against the attraction.  This book has allowed me to step into the other persons shoes and I believe that is something that most girls don't think about when it happens to them.



The Pact by Jodi Picoult
Out of all the books on this list, this book has affected me the most.  I know many readers do not enjoy flashbacks, however, Jodi Picoult did a wonderful job balancing between the past and the present.  The impact this books has had on my life is immense.  I never thought about how a single person can cause such turmoil between two families or turn an entire community against a seventeen year old boy who only loved her.  This book made me realize that you can't make other people happy, they have to want to be happy.  And most importantly, don't make promises you may not want to keep.


October Breezes by Maria Rachel Hooley
When beginning this book, I could have never imagined what story would unfold.  Skye is a 16 year old girl with major trust issues.  Her dad walked out when she was young and her moms new boyfriend is trying to convince her that he isn't like the other men who have been in and out of her moms life.  The star quarterback is looking in her direction, and so is his best friend.  And then it happens.  She gets raped and now she has to deal with the repercussions of one boys actions.  This book taught me a lot about trust, it can not be given freely, it must be earned.  Assuming that everyone is trustworthy will, at times, result in an uncomfortable situation that may be difficult to get out of easily.


Where I Belong by Gwendolyn Heasley
If I had to sum this book up in one word it would be charming.  Corrinne is forced to move to Texas and live with her grandparents when her father loses his job.  She would do anything to get back to her life of shopping sprees and boarding school until she lives life a little in a small hick town.  Corrinne grows from a spoiled rich girl with shallow tendencies to a girl who is down-to-earth with just enough spunk.  This book taught me that sometimes you just have to make the best of a situation, learn and grow from the hand you are given and maybe one day you will find happiness where it's least expected.





I hope I have inspired you to pick up one of these books and maybe learn something new.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Maybe it was the challenging time I was going through in my life, or maybe it just wasn't "me", but I had "13 Reasons Why" and tried honestly to read it, but it couldn't keep my attention. Maybe I should try it again. Looks like I missed something.

Doodle said...

Let me know your thoughts on the book if you do read it again.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...