• Splintered - AG HowardSplintered
  •  graceling - kristin cashore
  •  someone to love - addison moore
  •  breaking beautiful - jennifer shaw wolf
  •  the perfect game - j sterling
  •  the edge of never - ja redmerski
  •  independence - shelly crane

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

{Review} My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick





My Life Next Door
by Huntley Fitzpatrick
Publisher: Dial Books For Young Readers 
Pages: 394
Source: Gift
Available as of June 14, 2012
Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Books-A-Million
Fishpond | The Book Depository

The Garretts are everything the Reeds are not. Loud, numerous, messy, affectionate. And every day from her balcony perch, seventeen-year-old Samantha Reed wishes she was one of them . . . until one summer evening, Jase Garrett climbs her terrace and changes everything. As the two fall fiercely in love, Jase's family makes Samantha one of their own. Then in an instant, the bottom drops out of her world and she is suddenly faced with an impossible decision. Which perfect family will save her? Or is it time she saved herself?





To say that I loved My Life Next Door would be an understatement. This is probably one of the best debuts I've read. Huntley Fitzpatrick wrote an outstanding, thought-provoking book.

After living most of life looking at her neighbors lives from the outside, one catcher her and introduces himself as Jase. Little does Sam know that this summer will be unforgetable. Not just because of him and his family, but because of the tragedy that's about to strike.

Sam, the sweet, caring, and calm girl from next door, has it all. Her mom is a senator with a trust fund getting ready for reelection. She has two jobs, a friend she can lean on, and now a guy who makes her happy.

My Life Next Door was exactly what I thought it would be, a great read. It was funny, sweet, and made the reader think about how they would react if they were in Sam's shoes. I found myself loving Sam, laughing frequently, and turning page after page without noting page numbers or the time. My world ceased to exist. Then the bomb dropped and I hadn't expected it at all. Sam's perfect world shattered and I read more furiously to know how it would end. It kept me on the edge of my seat.

Overall, My Life Next Door was an awesome read that left me wanting more. This is one of the best contemporaries I've read.





4 comments:

Amy said...

I really need to read this book. It seems like I have only seen great reviews for it. The characters sounds awesome and it sounds like a sweet and emotional story.

Christine said...

I totally agree! This was one of my favorite reads last year, and it jump-started my reignited love for contemporary books. I was enveloped into the world of the book and it felt so real and raw that I could see it in my head perfectly (a sign of a truly great book!). And I agree--the plot twist was completely unexpected, but it was a great way to put the relationship between Jase and Sam to the test and to allow Sam to develop and mature as a character. LOVE this book!! :D

Sheena-kay Graham said...

Sam sounds like a great character and I can tell you love this book. Thanks for sharing this review.

Jaime Lester said...

This book blew me away, to say the least. I never once felt the "debut author" about this book. It was incredibly well written, with beautiful characters. Such a romantic and sweet, honest and real romance. I loved every word in this book, and I can't wait to read more from this incredibly talented author!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...